1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter (vegan butter works too)
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (if you want to use salted butter omit the salt)
1 cup sugar
1 egg (can replace with flax egg)
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
optional: sprinkles or sanding sugar to decorate. You can also choose to color them with food coloring but you might need to add more flour to get the texture right.
1) preheat oven 375 F degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon mat
2) Let the butter soften to room temperature
3) In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt
4) Add butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with hand mixer or stand mixer. Once creamy and fluffy add egg, orange juice and vanilla. Mix.
5) Add flour in two parts and mix until combined
6) Pinch off tablespoon size pieces, roll into a ball, place on cookie sheet about two inches apart from each other and flatten with palm. If you choose to spray with oil and sprinkle with sanding sugar or sprinkles.
7) Bake for about 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Let cool down on baking sheet for about 5-10 minutes then remove and enjoy!